Second and Most importantly - You all need to know why we called my grandma Grandma Chicken. Her & My Grandpa had chickens & ducks. Grandpa once told a story that the chickens were Grandpas and the ducks were his. From then on everyone called him
"Grandpa Pato" (duck) and called Grandma, "Grandma Chicken". MY MOMS PARENTS!
Grandma Chickens Embueltos
*Grandma NEVER used conventional measurements - she used her fingers and the palms of her hands & thats how mom & I cook too!! SO here it goes
Things You will need
A Large Skillet or Frying Pan
1 Block Long Horn Yellow Cheese
1-2 cans of tomatoe sauce
Cumin Powder [cheater version] * Grandma ground it fresh in her molcajete (hand rock grinder)
Garlic powder[cheater version]*
California Chile Powder
White Onion chopped finely [ I never use onion I'm allergic Grandma always made a special batch for me & Tia Carmen without onion]
All Purpose Flour or [Wondera Powder - I CHEAT SOMETIMES] Grandma NEVER cheated!!!
- Shred cheese.
- Warm up some cooking oil in a skillet (about a 1/4 cup) depending on how many you will make.
- Dip each tortilla in skillet for about 30 seconds on each side - not letting them get hard.
- When you take out each tortilla lay it on a paper towel covered plate - to drain greese.
- The greese should have finished by now.
- If not drain it out from skillet.
- Place however much ground beef you will need 1 lb. feeds approx. 6 people [but I make mine real meaty plus I hardly ever cook small portions]
- brown the meat
- add salt, pepper, garlic cumin.
- cook well, until meat is practically dry.
- If small amount of oil remains in skillet tilt skillet to one side slightly in that small amount of oil add flour or wondera[2-3 tablespoons fry that till white substance turns light golden brown] If no oil left in pan pour about 1-2 tablespoons in and tilt and do the same as above.
- immediately after browing flour pour in 1 can of tomatoe sauce
- Quickly add 1 1/2 cups of hot water.
- then pour in about 1-2 tablespoons of California Chile powder [new mexico chile is much to spicey and sometimes gives a bitter/sourish twist]
- sample taste the sauce for consistancy & spices. (should NOT be too thick & NOT runny)
- if it seems like it needs more water or spices add it now
- turn flame to simmer
- If sauce needs more thickness - take 1 cup of cold water and mix in about a spoonful of flour or wondera. Mix it very well, making sure you disolve ALL the lumps. Then pour that cup into the skillet.
- Once sauce is just right turn off flame by now it should have simmered for about a good 15-20 minutes with everything added.
- Take 1 tortilla at a time and dip it into skillet full of sauce & meat.
- place tortilla on a plate, glass cassarole dish or cookie sheet[you can microwave or bake in oven *YOU CAN GUESS BY NOW WHICH I DO... the cheater version, Grandma didn't have microwaves!!!* YOU CAN PLACE ABOUT 6-8 embueltos ona large dinner plate and microwave
- With a holey spoon fill tortilla with meat & a small amount of cheese (onions * I don't)
- Repeat this step for as many tortillas or meat as you have.
- Then pour more cheese on top(onions * I don't)
- NOW take all remaining sauce which by now should have VERY VERY LITTLE MEAT and Pour all over the tray or plate of embueltos.
- Microwave plate or dish for about 3-5 minutes or until cheese is melted.
I make a side of spanish rice and a side of beans to go with it.
THATS IT :~)
LET ME KNOW HOW THEY TURN OUT FOR YOU
ANY OTHER QUESTIONS OR FOR MORE CLARITY EMAIL ME at: firstname.lastname@example.org